HuntOhio.net Forums
Welcome to HuntOhio.net your Ohio Hunting Forum

Home » General Conversation » The Cabin » New critter in my part of the woods.....
New critter in my part of the woods..... [message #55407] Mon, 07 August 2017 19:47 Go to next message
undertaker
to much time on my hands
Worked from home today to take care of a sick wife....

Had to feed and water the birds, so at around 1:30 I took a watering jug down to the pen. Upon approaching the pen I noticed almost all of the phez were roosted up on the rafters and mid level support boards of the pen. This is unusual unless something is in the pen chasing them. So I approached the door with a bit of caution expecting a squirrel stealing food (not unusual) or maybe a coon had skipped in, been a while for those but it has happened before.

Anyhow I opened the exterior door and poked my head in only to catch something going out through the net on the far side of the pen, it ran across the roof and then jumped from there towards the ground. I ran to the other side of the pen and caught a tan cat with no tail about 14 to 16 inches tall and around 20 some pounds high tailing it across my back yard and out into the bean field.

I had to sit and think for a second and then realized,,, I just had a bobcat inside of my pen. I called the game warden for the area and asked him if there have been any reported sightings around my area or not and he said believe it or not there is a healthy breeding population right up the road off of rt 207 and that there have been numerous but scattered sightings in the area. He told me (I know Bob personally as he checks out my pheasant pen for my permits every year and I have turned over several people through the years who have been breaking the law) I have no doubt you probably saw one and he also told me that one of the biologists who are studying them would be in Ross County next week and I was invited to talk with him as well.

So pretty cool day to say the least, but the cat did kill two of my bigger pheasants....

Undertaker

PS only the second bob cat I have ever seen in the wild in my lifetime (so far)
Re: New critter in my part of the woods..... [message #55409 is a reply to message #55407] Tue, 08 August 2017 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ckfowler is currently offline  ckfowler
uber poster
Would have been much cooler to see on the outside of the pen!
Re: New critter in my part of the woods..... [message #55417 is a reply to message #55409] Thu, 14 September 2017 01:09 Go to previous message
ethan34 is currently offline  ethan34
new-blood
What a visitor. Are they known to come back to pens for food?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 September 2017 01:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Ruffed Grouse Society Event in Ohio
Next Topic: My 3 month old new ride
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 16 23:45:17 EDT 2017