HuntOhio.net Forums
Welcome to HuntOhio.net your Ohio Hunting Forum

Home » Outdoor Excursions » Fishing » New upgrades on the boat!!
New upgrades on the boat!! [message #55297] Sun, 16 October 2016 20:45 Go to next message
Meat Hunter is currently offline  Meat Hunter
Uber Hunter
I had the pleasure to guide some people saugeye trolling at Indian lake in their pontoon last summer.They had the terrova I pilot. They ran the main motor and did the steering with the ipilot. It was sweet. I've been looking for a decent 12v version of it.

Well I got a heck of a deal on a brand new 12v Terrova I pilot that also had the link with it. Still in the box of the guy's house up in findlay and I snatched it up.I got $100 for my old one. Got her installed and worked great 1st trip out.But it was missing something.My elite-5 wasn't compatible with it so I searched for the humminbird units of 700 series and up. Saw lots of great videos on utube about the Helix-9. Digital oasis had the cheapest price for them at $645 while everyone else was $750 and cabelas wants $799.I figured after christmas would be a good time to update the sonar unit.

I scoured ebay and a few days later someone listed a new Helix-9 Di for $545 with shipping. I read it half a dozen times to find the "whats wrong with it" but seemed ligit.It had to have a signature and faded box was the only hitch. I pulled the trigger and they shipped it way before it was suppose to arrive. It was suppose to be delivered tomorrow but 1st attempt was last tuesday. I had wednesday off and got her on the 2nd attempt from fed ex.

She's installed 5 hrs after arrival. Also picked up a ram mount on ebay $25 cheaper than cabelas. The I pilot had nothing to keep it stable while cradled and I picked up a few ram parts and that issue is resolved. New to break out the new additions tomorrow morning and tuesday morning!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/saugmon/DSCN0054_zpsqh2zkao9.jpg

Only thing left is 1 cable adapter to connect the sonar unit to the terrova to helix via ethernet and software.Deck removal will be required.This unit can create your own contour maps. Software for this whiteline mapping feature will finalize this update.I can also get a 5 port hub and add in extra humminbird stuff.

Re: New upgrades on the boat!! [message #55420 is a reply to message #55297] Mon, 18 September 2017 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ethan34 is currently offline  ethan34
new-blood
Great mod for your boat! How's the Terrova so far?
Re: New upgrades on the boat!! [message #55424 is a reply to message #55420] Sat, 23 September 2017 17:26 Go to previous message
Meat Hunter is currently offline  Meat Hunter
Uber Hunter
Not as much power as I thought for 12v.Short battery life too. I installed 2 brand new 27 series. Didn't get to use it much. I used the thrust of the kicker and the terrova to steer.Fish on, I had to put the trollmaster in idle as well as the handheld in idle.Didn't get any early crappie fishing in.One of the roughest seasons too and didn't get to use the I-anchor for snag removal.

The worst part is the size of it.It'd double the size of my last trolling motor and makes it impossible to get off the bow of the boat for loading onto trailer.

Logged in 250 hrs this season and just now got the white-line card and auto-chart software.I'll be able to map entire lake as I troll next season. HB had an updated map system of 6gb's. Well worth the long download and the regular maps are a lot more accurate.

Previous Topic: While bass fishing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 16 23:46:24 EDT 2017